Jan 9, 2010

Non Essential Doctrines pt2 Calvinism vs Arminianism

When it comes to Biblical theological understandings, perhaps the greatest rivals (and the most contentious) are team Calvin vs team Armenian.

I honestly don't know a whole lot about either doctrine, but for as long these teachings have been around (as set out specifically by John Calvin or Jacobus Arminius), the believers of these two views have been in conflict.

I personally don't have any solid stance on either side. I believe a little Calvinism and a little from Arminianism, so I guess you could call me a "Cal-minian".

This could be a really long post if I were to get into this more, but as I've stated, I really don't know great details of either and I personally am not so interested in getting into the debate between the two sides.

I do know that there are concerns of either idea being extended too far, such as hyper-Calvinism, and Arminianism leading into Palagiamism, many times though these are simply misrepresentations made by the critics of either side. They can however lead into false teaching just like many ideas can.

I just want to encourage those on either side that if you both believe that Jesus Christ is the sole Saviour of mankind by grace alone through repentance and faith alone than you should be able to call each other brother. We should also be able to talk to each other about these differences and do so in peace without arguing. We can disagree without being disagreeable.

Let us exemplify our unity in Christ, not by having to believe exactly the same thing about being a Christian, but rather by the shed blood of Jesus Christ all of our sins are forgiven and we are brought into a common grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment